win 8.1 clean install usb

I prep'd for it so I'm going to do it, dammit!

I prepared on and off for a week: researched, went through the steps and what to expect in my head, learned possible snags and their fixes (from other people's first-hand accounts), prep'd what I needed to use, backed up drivers and my files, wrote down my key and printed out my step-by-step notes. It took a while but I was ready (and pumped).

August 5, 2015: Clean install of Win 8.1 via bootable USB. Success!

There were only 2 things that my notes didn't cover:

usb boot options There were multiple one-time boot options on my mobo (press F12 to get to this boot menu on GA-A75M-UD2H). There were 4 choices for USB. Obviously, USB-Zip and USB-CDROM were out. I thought, "Oh, USB-HDD but what is this USB-FDD?" [Six minutes later...] Ok, not FDD. Should've went with my gut and picked HDD the first time but no harm done and lesson learned. Uhm, yeah, pick USB-HDD.

NOTE: The bootable USB was easily created with Window's official media creation tool for 8.1 - the whole process of downloading and creating this took me 3 hours so I'm glad I made it in advance (and before they take it off their site).

please unplug the usbIt told me to "Please unplug..." (the USB). Weh? Funny no one mentioned this but sure, I did what I was told... dundundun...

"Getting Ready..." "Personalizing..." Hello, 8.1!

So quick and easy, I couldn't believe it. That was it? What, even with me going through custom settings, it was less than 30 minutes? Holy...

checking drivers
Some minutes in, it automatically ran a drivers-check and the AMD HD display was installed so I didn't need to run the chipset one I had as backup. Everything was ok. I only manually installed the Realtek audio driver to boost the volume (I also had this driver backed up during prep).

I have so much free space now!

I turned off fast startup too before that could give me problems.
Previous Post
« Prev Post
Next Post
Next Post »

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cold, Windy, Audacity, Congee

Paymaya duplicate account 2018 [fixed]

GlobeAtHome no internet [fixed]