win 8.1 shutdown but power still on

7/6/15, Monday

A desktop PC user with Win 8.1 will eventually come across an issue when shutting down the machine. That issue is the hybrid shutdown. Apparently, this default setting keeps the power on long enough as it preps for a "fast startup." I only discovered this last night.

Two weeks into upgrading the system, I already noticed that when I shut down, the monitor powers off first but the tower will run for more than 10 secs before it then completely powers off. I was OK with that, I could wait.

But at last night's shutdown, 5 minutes after the monitor went blank, the power led light and fan were still on. The processing indicator light already stopped blinking and was off. Hesitantly, I had to hold the power button down so it will turn off completely.

Now, given my recent computer problem, that was done with a sense of pending anxiety.

I looked it up and saw that "shutdown but power still on" was an old issue for desktop PC users with Win 8 (and now, 8.1) because of this hybrid shutdown.

The known solution is to uncheck "Turn on fast startup" within the power options, save and then restart the system. This fix will disable the hybrid shutdown. I will do this if, pray, my machine boots up normally (if at all) today.

UPDATE: Issue solved. Thanks to disabling fast startup. The monitor and tower powers off simultaneously now. Boot-up takes some seconds longer but that is OK.
Previous Post
« Prev Post
Next Post
Next Post »

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cold, Windy, Audacity, Congee

Paymaya duplicate account 2018 [fixed]

GlobeAtHome no internet [fixed]