win7 disable hibernate for more space

I have a partitioned HDD, partitioned while we still used XP. The man allocated 20 GB for the system. Did maintenance work regularly and kept that baby running smoothly. Fast-forward X years, I updated to Win7. Problem is most of the system partition is used even with the bare minimum of programs installed (only what i need, the biggest hog is adobe reader), free space was only 3.+ GB. Boot up was fast enough but still, it may suffer if it gets any lower. So, I still go through regular disk cleanup for a few megabytes of space (and peace of mind).

Then Glenda happened. After the power flickered, it created a system restore point which ate up memory. After a normal start-up and restart, it deleted itself. But memory was down to 2.4 GB -- not OK.

I didn't want to start over (format, etc.) for more space which typically takes a very long time.

After defrag+cleanup it was still a low 2.6 GB. I could try extending the partition but no, too chicken. So, what else could I do for now that's low risk and reversible?

Ding! Ding! Ding! Disable hibernate which basically deletes a system file. I have never used hibernate (or even sleep) so I have no problem disabling it. The great thing is - that system file is recreated if I re-enable hibernate. No risk, actually. Nice.

First things first, I didn't have hibernate on my start menu (only saw sleep). That means, I have hybrid sleep on. So, this fixed that:

control panel -> power options -> change when computer sleeps -> sleep(expand/dropdown) -> allow hybrid sleep(select: OFF) -> apply -> OK

Hello, hibernate.

Now to say bye-for-now through the command prompt (this part deletes the system file I talked about above - which frees up some memory):

start -> cmd (right-click, run as admin) -> type powercfg.exe /hibernate off -> hit enter -> type exit

Done in a moment and 1 GB regained. From 2.6 to 3.7 GB, not the best at 20% (ideal is 25%) but not very bad either.
Previous Post
« Prev Post
Next Post
Next Post »

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cold, Windy, Audacity, Congee

Paymaya duplicate account 2018 [fixed]

GlobeAtHome no internet [fixed]