Productivity Tool: Convert Excel Xlsx to Xls File

How much do I love Google Docs? Let me count the ways.
For one, it converts .xlsx files to .xls.
This feature must've been recent (less than two years, maybe?). There are so many wonderful productivity tools on Google and if we just keep our eyes open, we can see that they keep on putting great stuff out over time. Since I don't remember seeing an in-your-face "convert excel .xlsx to .xls here" feature sign on there, I was wonderfully surprised when I tried it out and it worked.

A few months ago, I received several .xlsx files from a client to process. But I had MS Office 2003 so I couldn't read them. I could've sent them back and asked them to be changed to .xls format... but I didn't since figuring things out was part of what I do - besides, I didn't want to send them back at all. And being a keep-the-pc-safe-and-secure nut, I had one limitation in finding a solution -- no software downloads!

I googled, yahoo-ed, bing-ed for a fix, but all I got were sites to download converters... blech! No. No.

I've been using Google Docs for a while so I thought that I would just edit these .xlsx files while in the cloud... not a very practical choice but it was viable. After uploading one of these .xlsx's and creating an "editable" copy of it, I found that processing it online was tedious and like I said, wasn't practical because it was hard to manage and was taking so long.

After looking at the file and at the Docs options for a some time, I gave this a try: File > Download as > Excel.

It worked!

Needless to say, I uploaded the other .xlsx to Docs and proceeded to download them one by one. So, I finally had them in .xls and was able to normally work with them offline.

Since then, it's great to find that Google Docs (and Gmail) have lots of tools that meet my needs. Excited to see what they come up with in the future. By the way, I haven't tried converting Word .docx to .doc but if ever I come across this situation, I wouldn't hesitate to use Google Docs to fix it.
Previous Post
« Prev Post
Next Post
Next Post »

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cold, Windy, Audacity, Congee

Paymaya duplicate account 2018 [fixed]

GlobeAtHome no internet [fixed]