Express Scribe Hotkeys

Looked over my posts about transcribing and saw that I was all over the place when I talked about setting my preferences for express scribe hotkeys (function keys). Thought that I'd break them down clearly now 'cause the current settings work best for me, so far.

My current Express Scribe (free from NCH Software) is v 4.23. To customize the function keys, go to settings-->pedal and hot keys. My most-used (or more appropriately, only-used) keys are:

F4 Stop
F5 Copy Time (Made adding timestamps a non-issue - just press F5 and then, Ctrl-V [paste on MS Word] without leaving the document window. Easy, breezy.)
F6 Step Back 5s (five seconds, my most-used hotkey)
F9 Play

Functions of express scribe hotkeys F4 and F9 are, I think, default. I changed what F5 and F6 do, and I mentioned why here and here. There are no set functions for F7 and F8 (or maybe I intentionally removed them) so pressing either will just stop the playback. All these are on the top-center of the keyboard so transcribing flows more smoothly.

In fact, using them has become second nature that I'm worried that if I had to download the software again, I wouldn't be able to remember my preferred "what F-key does what" and I'd waste time setting it up again just right. So, here it is - my customized express scribe hotkey functions.
Previous Post
« Prev Post
Next Post
Next Post »

Comments

lindy345 said…
I just downloaded ES 4.3. No matter what I do, I cannot get the hot keys to work. When I press F9, nothing happens!!! I unchecked the foot pedal box.
Da said…
@lindy345 , my old version works on both settings {foot pedal box checked and not checked}. Then again, I don't have a foot pedal {sorry}. Are you using Vista? NCH Software Tech Support mentions codec issues with Express Scribe on Vista. If that's not it, I guess you can check the hot key assignments on "control>hot keys setup" if they're OK; but if you've already done that, I don't know what else it could be.

Popular posts from this blog

Cold, Windy, Audacity, Congee

Paymaya duplicate account 2018 [fixed]

GlobeAtHome no internet [fixed]