Airport Assistance and JAL Holdup

Traveling with a physical mobility issue is very challenging. When we made arrangements for international flights, one of the first things we made sure of was putting in a wheelchair request.

Flying from Manila to Florida with two stop-overs (it was cheaper that way!) allowed me to assess how different airport assistance was in three countries. So, I'm just going to write those down now so I don't forget 'em next time we travel.

MANILA to FLORIDA

At NAIA, Manila, I had to walk from the drop-off area to the check-in counter inside because they said that the room where the chair was coming from was closed pa. Good thing we brought my walker/rollator too.

A rep came with the wheels and when he saw us, he apologized. He said that it should have been taken out when we asked for one. Apparently, the guard outside didn't know how to follow up on that.

The rep assisted us all the way to the boarding area. I was surprised to see a lot of travelers on wheels. It was assuring, in a way.

We boarded JAL for Narita in Tokyo (first stop-over). I transferred to the chair that was small enough to move along the aisle inside the plane (aisle wheelchair?) and kept in mind the most important part of being wheeled to my seat -- elbows in!

We arrived at Narita and since it's "first in, last out" for special-assistance passengers, we waited longer than expected since the airport rep wasn't there to greet us yet. Later, he came in w/ an aisle chair, we rolled to the cabin door and - this part I liked - I didn't transfer to another chair. They just manipulated the aisle wheelchair. They attached big wheels at the back and pushed in the arm rests -- done.

Apparently, different airlines have different terminal buildings at Narita. We went all the way - it was so very far - down to a shuttle bus. Yes, a passenger bus where they had to scramble to carry me in (I had to get off the chair since it wouldn't fit with me on it.) or else we would've missed our connection.

We did make it, barely, and after we checked in, they had me transfer to a Continental Airlines (our next carrier) chair. There's a lot of changing chairs, really.

We arrived in Houston (this is our last stop-over) where airline reps really knew how to transfer passengers from one chair to another. I didn't need to get up at all. They knew how to take me - one person carried from the back, under my arm and another one grabbed hold under my knees - very efficient and comfortable. I guess they're very much used to it and they expect it.

This time, we had to transfer our checked luggage to the domestic shoot. The airline rep went with us and she really knew where to go - good thing too because the terminal that we needed to go was a long way from where we came in. We already had our boarding passes for our last flight so after getting our bags and depositing it in one of the luggage tunnels, we relaxed and waited for our flight to be called.

Going in this last plane, I had to change again to an aisle wheelchair to get to my seat. From what I've experienced so far, Narita in Japan has the only adjustable/transforming chairs for special needs - very commendable.

FLORIDA to MANILA

Same experiences in both US airports (Fort Lauderdale and Newark - our first stop was New Jersey in stead of the original, Houston). There were very knowledgeable reps and knew how to lift someone for seat transfer, properly.

In Japan, after the "getting on the shuttle bus bother" again, our check-in took a lot longer. Turns out, they really wanted to be sure about what I may require - my meds, my condition, etc. Good thing that I brought my medical certificate saying that I was "okay to travel". They asked to photocopy it and that was that. They were very nice and polite - I can't help but say "thank you" every time.

Our Narita to Manila flight was delayed for one hour. There was maintenance trouble kasi. It would've been fine (tolerable since delays can be expected) except that wheeled travelers where already boarded when they said that we had to get off because of the trouble. There were three of us too but unfortunately, due to the language barrier, the reps weren't able to do the "lift" right and that made my exit a little noisy (with all the Japanese and English words going around at the same time) than I would've liked.

I did get out successfully, thinking that they'd know better when they board us back in, and we waited for less than an hour. I was pretty tired at this point and other travelers were getting anxious too. I took a photo of what was happening (loving my digicam!) on the tarmac.



When we went back in, they did it right this time. Given that these were different guys who helped me in earlier, they followed instructions very well - no fuss.

We arrived in Manila and it was a nice surprise that the same rep who aided us when we left was the same one who greeted us.

So, that's what happened. So if you're a special needs traveler, be sure you make necessary requests when you book your flight. And when you check-in, reconfirm with the person who's checking you in what you've requested. Bring your medical certificate too from your doctor saying you're good to travel, just in case. Also, if you're early, they will find a way to make the flight more easier for you too like moving you up from the rear to a front seat with more leg room - nice!
Previous Post
« Prev Post
Next Post
Next Post »

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cold, Windy, Audacity, Congee

Paymaya duplicate account 2018 [fixed]

GlobeAtHome no internet [fixed]