How to Transcribe Faster

I can type 53 wpm (words per minute) according to http://www.typingtest.com/ but it seems that I can only transcribe a difficult ten minute audio in approximately three hours. By 'difficult', I mean, there's mumbling or the speaker's volume is too low. I guess I try too hard to figure out what's being said before I go on and continue listening and encoding the rest of the recording.

What I found out about transcription is that the perspective's not on a per minute basis. It's because when you encode speech... it's on a per second basis! I guess that's why some clients prefer time stamps rather than speaker names on their transcripts.

I use Express Scribe where you can adjust the audio by volume, speed, background noise, etc. It's a great software plus it's free! It's just that I have to pause and hit 'f9' to play or 'f7' to rewind the recording and that takes away from the comfy position I had before while I was typing. (You can use MS word and ExpressScribe at the same time without changing browsers/windows.)

So that's why a foot pedal is a necessary equipment for transcribers. When you have one while you're working, it's just like driving a car where every limb is employed. And that undoubtedly helps one to transcribe faster.

My brother-in-law said he has cousins who work at home as medical transcribers and they've got the whole shebang -- software, footpedals, etc. Cool.

Obviously, I don't have a foot pedal. I'm still testing the waters on my freelance transcription gig to actually invest money on it.

Watching TV helps... lol! That's how I got used to understanding some of the different American accents, by the way. And there's quite a few of it - Southern, those from New York... etc. I can credit the proofreader's compliment of how well I did on my last paid transcription to that. Oh, they said I did a good job... for a beginner. Yey. And considering that it was on oral history, you can tell the speakers were...what's the word? Elderly, with their drawls and intonations.

I turned down a transcription project that was due in two days. It was an hour of audio and I knew I couldn't do it. I'm just too slow for that!!! I couldn't really put my client in an awkward position where I turnover a transcript on its due date and it's neither complete nor readable. They said it was okay... thank goodness. I hope the next one's deadline's a little longer/later than that.

Well, I'm still a slow (but good, hardly any editing needed!) transcriber as of now. But I can only get better from there. Here's to honing my transcription skills!!!
Previous Post
« Prev Post
Next Post
Next Post »

Comments

Unknown said…
Hello!
Found your blog while looking for transcribing jobs on Craig's list. Just wanted to offer to you a foot pedal (wav player), which is compatible with expess scribe, for $50.00 plus shipping and then I have a StartStop software CD, which is for keeping track of your transcriptions and billing purposes, which I can also sell to you for $50.00. If you find that you are interested, you can reach me at my Email address: 4bettyanderson@sbcglobal.net or by calling 817-238-6112 or cell 817-564-1784. I am in Fort Worth, Texas. I would accept a money order or you could pay via PayPal.com if you should find that you would like it asap. Anyway, your friend was right, a foot pedal would make your job much easier and your production time would be much faster!
Good luck! I will wait to hear from you.
Sincerely,
Betty Anderson
Da said…
Hi Betty. You're right about that. I'm sure I'll need a foot pedal when my transcription work takes off. But I'm guessing that it wouldn't be any time soon. Thanks for the info though.
Good luck to you too!
Anonymous said…
Hello! I was looking around the internet for blogs for transcribers.. there's not a whole lot out there!

Anyway, you must, MUST MUST get a foot pedal..! It is near impossible to do this work without one. Trust me. I took some transcription work from a friend and he let me borrow a pedal, then when I quit, I gave it back. After a couple years, I wanted to try again and found some sites online, where I did tests with no pedal.. oh. my. god. I was completely frustrated after about 3 minutes (audio, that is!) So, I bought one new ($54 or something) and went back to work for my friend.. Lord, i don't know what I was thinking trying to use jsut the keyboard. Go get one.. now! NOW! lol.. I can do about 15 audio minutes per hour.. it gets easier.. I will peruse your blog more, but I wonder how you got started with your independent gig? Let me know if you want to share some work..!! :)
Da said…
I know what you mean! So, I will. I will get one. lol!
Hopefully, I can borrow a foot pedal first and see how that works. AND hopefully, my affiliate will keep my spot on the transcription team when I get back from my holiday - or hiatus! lol!
Anonymous said…
There is a way to transcribe without a foot pedal. You can configure a hot key in ES, so that each time you press the key, the recording plays for a bit, backsteps, then pauses, so you can catch up typing. It will do this continuously and if you set your speed, as well, so you can keep up, you can transcribe without having to constantly rewind. This has been a godsend for me because I don't have a pedal.

Popular posts from this blog

Cold, Windy, Audacity, Congee

Paymaya duplicate account 2018 [fixed]

GlobeAtHome no internet [fixed]