Fliptunes Plus: What's Not to Hate?

A few nights ago, I searched for an online music store (Philippines-based) that sells legit downloads. That search took me to Fliptunes.net that is the country's attempt at a download store that's similar to iTunes - or so they say. It's endorsed by MTV Pilipinas and it sells song downloads from local artists. They've also expanded their selection by including international artists under the store name "Fliptunes Plus". This leads to the question: What's not to HATE about Fliptunes Plus?

So, here goes...

The music format is WMA so it can only be played with Windows. Yes, that's Windows Media Player or other devices with Windows "playforsure" stamp of approval. The music they sell have strict license codes with Windows DRM protection. I'm not going babble about what DRM is so I'm just going to say that it puts restrictions on how the product is used.

Now, I'm all for protecting content but when you buy a song - there shouldn't be any limit on the number of "play" times on it, correct? Of course that's correct!

Obviously that's a "NO" says Fliptunes Plus because when I bought and downloaded ONE song and looked at its properties, the license details included this line: 10000 play(s) remaining. I mean, WTF?!?!

So after playing the song a few times, I looked at the license details again (just right-click on the song from the Windows media player and go to Properties) and the number went down! It said: 9996 play(s) remaining. Unbelievable, right?

What's ridiculous too is that the site's FAQ said (of course, I read the terms and FAQ before I made the transaction!) that there is no limit on how many times a purchased song can be played -- LIAR!!! So now I'm supposed to keep a close watch on this one song (that I bought for an absurd $1.66!) so that I don't play it so much? Bad Fliptunes Plus, very bad.

What makes it worse is that it said that each song is 50 pesos plus other charges so I expected to be charged maybe $1.25 (at the most) given the current rates. But my account was charged $1.66! I did not see that until after I received my receipt. That's a huge issue because they didn't list the charges before the order was confirmed -- I just remembered that fact right this moment! OMG! How could I forget that? I guess I'm so enraged about this "play" limit that I totally forgot about that. Wait, I suppose that means I was not bothered about it until after I saw the limit on plays! Wow, that is so interesting...

Moving on, a few more of these limits that they've put on their products is the number of times it can be downloaded to a portable player and burned on a CD. They have managed to include these in the FAQ section so good for them! I think those two limits are more than enough reasons to put off potential customers. But not me, I still went ahead with my transaction -- which I dearly regret!

Truth be told, what cursed my whole Fliptunes Plus experience is this limit on number of "plays" that I only discovered AFTER I bought the song. In effect, I am now also pissed about the amount that I've been charged with. And I think that I have a legit reason to be pissed off at our legit, local, online downloads music store - Fliptunes Plus.

You could have been something but it's too late... I will not buy anything from you again. Yes, I sent you emails thinking that maybe, you have a good explanation about this little license detail but you don't even take a little time to reply. For an effort to bring a sort of iTunes to the Philippines, so far, you are failing.
Previous Post
« Prev Post
Next Post
Next Post »

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cold, Windy, Audacity, Congee

Paymaya duplicate account 2018 [fixed]

GlobeAtHome no internet [fixed]