Hooked on FIBS

I like playing on FIBS - First Internet Backgammon Server - since I learned how to play backgammon.

It started when I was I researching on the topic for one of my articles. Since it's easier to write about something that you know... I started learning how to play backgammon.

Just from reading the game rules, the first impression that I got was "chicken feed!" HAH! I was wrong!

Since I neither have a mortar and pestle backgammon board game nor anyone to play with, I turned to the Internet. I started with a "no-download required" game site.

Almost immediately, a window popped up saying that so-and-so wanted to play a one-point match against me so I clicked "accept". My opponent made the opening play. I thought that this was nice.

When my turn came up, I clicked on the pieces that I wanted to move and waited for the other player to take his turn. I waited... and waited... I kibitzed (that's for chatting), "Your turn." And then he replied, "No, it's your turn". What?!?

I thought the server was having problems so I replied, "I think the server's having probs." To which he replied, "It's working fine on my end."

I was getting nervous because I didn't want him to think that I was a dropper -- that's someone who drops the connection when they're losing -- so I replied, "Ok, I'll end this game because it's not working here."

I clicked on options -> resign. Another window popped up saying "Resign backgammon? Yes/No" and I clicked "yes". My opponent accepted my resignation and then another window popped up saying, "Your opponent wins three points." WHATDAFUDGE?!?

Well, turns out, you can lose more than a point in a game but that calls for another post.

Anyhoo... I figured that this "no-download" backgammon game wasn't working so I searched for the most reliable and safe downloadable Internet backgammon game here. That's when I found FIBS. Ahhh... me likey.

And so, after registering on the server, I got another invitation from another player for a one-pointer. I accepted and this time, the first move was mine. I clicked on my pieces and waited... and waited... and I was thinking na ganito nanaman?!

My opponent then kibitzed, "It's your turn... you're not a dropper, are you?" Of course, I immediately told him no and that I already moved my pieces but the server wasn't accepting it. And then he kibitzed the most important lesson about how to play backgammon to me by saying, "Did you click on the dice yet?"

EUREKA!!! So that's why!!!

So, I clicked on the dice and the game went on smoothly... finally! I lost, by the way. Lol!

And as my ratings went down from 1500 to 13++, I was starting to practice the many lessons I've read from Zare, Keith, etc. And now, my ratings are moving up to the 14++'s. It's not too bad but it's not good either. But I play fairly well, I never drop games and I've won occasional one-pointers againsts advanced and expert bots as well.

What can I say, I'm hooked on FIBS.
Previous Post
« Prev Post
Next Post
Next Post »

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cold, Windy, Audacity, Congee

Paymaya duplicate account 2018 [fixed]

GlobeAtHome no internet [fixed]